Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The Sheridan Knockabout



You probably know Sheridan as the maker of the classic Sheridan Blue Streak pump-up air rifle in .20 caliber. Today, Sheridan and Benjamin are both a part of Crosman, and many of their classic designs are available in .177 and .22, like this version of the classic Sheridan CO2 pistol (now sold as a Benjamin). But between 1952 and 1960 they manufactured a very simple and inexpensive single shot .22 LR pistol, the Knockabout. Made largely of stampings, it originally cost $17.95, which is about $150 in 2012 dollars.

It was advertised as a great tackle box gun, or a good gun to carry on the trapline, and sold well enough to keep the gun in production for nearly a decade. What eventually killed it, I suspect, was the flood of cheap guns from Europe. For the price of this crude single-shot gun you could buy a cheap imported auto, and for the price of two, you could buy the new Ruger automatic pistol, a far superior gun.

Personally, I'd still like a Knockabout for my own collection. A Knockabout and a few boxes of Aguila  Colibri shells would make for great low-noise, low-energy plinking fun. But Knockabouts are rare, and what examples I have seen go for close to $300. And for $300, I can buy something more modern and reliable.

3 comments:

  1. I just picked one up at the local gun show for $105. Extractor is frozen, but everything else is fine. I'm planning on doing a bit of plinking with it as soon as I can figure out how to free up this extractor.Anybody know how to pull one of these things apart without destroying it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd start by removing the grips and soaking it in good penetrating oil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incidentally, that's a fantastic deal.

    ReplyDelete