Sunday, October 7, 2012

Savage-Anschutz Model 10



Between the late 1960s and the early 1980s, Savage and Anschutz had a deal going in which Savage imported a number of Anschutz .22 target rifles and sold them here labeled as Savage-Anschutz guns. (I'm told that Anschutz also imported Savage rifles into Germany, where they were sold as Anschutz-Savage guns, though I have yet to come across one.) There were several different Anschutz guns sold here, including several single-shot target rifles: The 10, 10A, 10B,  10C, 10D, and 12. The better ones, like the Model 10 shown above, used the Anschutz 64 action, which was just a step down from the then-top of the line Model 54 bolt action.

A good Model 10, with the receiver sights, will sell for $350-400 or more, depending on condition, sights, and version. An excellent 10D or 12 with good sights might command as much as $500. Maybe. I found this one, sans sights, for $295. The store owner initially wanted quite a bit more as he'd been pricing it as if it had the sights, but after it sat on his rack for a few months he was willing to haggle. Since I bought mine prices have been climbing a bit, as precision long-range shooting with .22s has become increasingly popular.


This particular gun s a model 10A, and I was able to identify it as a model 64 action based on the position of the bolt with respect to the trigger. I bought it as a long-range plinker, with the thought that I might use it for some .22 BR competition one day.

The Model 64 action has the potential for exceptional accuracy. I haven't gotten there quite yet, as I'm still sorting out scope, trigger and ammunition issues. I had the trigger adjusted just where I liked it, but when I took it to the range it fired on bolt closed. Mm. Not good. I backed that off a bit. Most of my testing has been with CCI Standard Velocity .22, which I use in my two Ruger target .22 pistols, as it's relatively inexpensive, reliable, and extremely consistent. I'm told that CCI's Green Tag Target ammunition is just  ammunition from Standard Velocity runs that's selected for consistent weight. Very possible. I've read that the main difference between the two is that you don't get as many flyers from the Green Tag.


At any rate, this rifle a lot of fun to shoot. It encourages slow, careful shooting- I typically fire about one round per minute when I bring it to the range. Groups have been running around 1"-2" at 50 yards (excluding flyers) and I'm sure I can cut that in half with practice and careful ammunition selection. I've been contemplating adding a bipod, which I could screw to the front accessory rail with no modifications to the gun, and possibly refinishing it as well over the winter. We'll see.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the post. My dad bought the 10A when we were kids and he gave it to me a couple years ago. He loves telling the story how we all went to a Family Summer Camp (must have been in the late 60s, early 70s) and everyone in the family came in first place in their age division in a rifle contest. Clearly that was a long time ago as today, I"m sure a gun even isn't allowed on the property!

    Again, thanks for the post and a little insight on my gift from dad!

    Cheers,
    John

    ReplyDelete