Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Custom Ruger 10/22 Part IV: New Trigger

In Part III, we looked at some specialized tools for the 10/22, one of which came in handy for today's project update. Around two weeks ago I sent my stock trigger assembly off to Brimstone for their $70 Tier 2 trigger job, which involves reshaping the sear, a new trigger, replacing the trigger spring with a torsion spring, and an over travel stop, It arrived last Friday with a note from the gunsmith who worked on it:


Before I installed the trigger in the gun, I wanted to replace the stock plastic magazine release with an aluminum alloy replacement from Rimfire Specialties:



I used the punch end of the tool from Gunsmither to move the pin holding the magazine release just far enough to allow me to remove the release. Note that I'm keeping the actual magazine retention button pushed in with my thumb:




 New release in, original goes into the parts box. 




Final task, of course was installing the trigger assembly in the gun and returning the borrowed modified assembly to the friend who loaned it to me. 

Now it's off to the range- as soon as it warms up a bit more. We're looking at two more days of really cold weather (down to 4F) and then a good warming trend. 

n.b.: For anyone interested in what this project has cost so far, here's the breakdown:

Slightly used, like new 10/22: $207
Fedderson barrel: $145 + $15 postage
Kidd recoil buffer: $8
Magazine release $14
Brimstone trigger job: $70 + $14.50 postage ($5 sent, $9.50 return)
Used, modified stock: $50
Sold the stock barrel: -$45

Total: $478.50. If I can sell the synthetic stock, it'll knock another $30 or so off the total.

Ruger's Target version of the 10/22 lists for $550, and the big box stores sell them for right around $500. This one has a much better trigger,  hopefully a better barrel,  easier magazine release, and a better stock. Does it actually shoot better? I'll know after the weather warms up again and I get back to the range.

Next: In Part V, I actually make it to the range!

No comments:

Post a Comment