Friday, September 9, 2011

Why I Like Cabela's



Many years ago, before the name was sold to a retailer of clothes for teenaged fashion slaves, Abercrombie and Fitch was a legendary sporting goods store. This was a shop where you could walk in and buy everything from a simple fly rod to full kit for an African Safari. A fine English double gun in .450 Jeffries? Certainly, sir, we have a wide selection, and if you don't see something you like, we can have it made for you.

For those of us whose disposable incomes weren't quite in the same range, there were plenty of local Sporting Goods stores that could outfit the outdoorsman (or sportswoman) with fishing and hunting kit. My favorite for many years was a little shop in Ferndale, Michigan, called Geakes Sporting Goods. It was owned by a gentleman by the name of Neville Geake, and for many decades it was where I purchased all my hunting and fishing supplies. Ice fishing augers? No problem, they have a full selection.  Barbour waxed canvas coats and vests? These two racks.  Reloading supplies? Right here. Gunsmithing services? Mr. Geake had a full machine shop, and he could handle repair, rebarreling, chambering, custom bluing- whatever you needed.

I bought my first high quality air rifle (a Beeman R7) at Geakes, my first fly rod, my first reloading press, and a wide assortment of curiosities, like the AR-7 Explorer pistol I owned for a time, and the blowgun that hangs on a rack in my basement. Mr. Geake was an exceptionally friendly man, and free with advice, whether or not you were buying. He taught me the right way to use a file, and how to shape the follower in a P17 Enfield so the bolt would close on an empty chamber.

Eventually Mr. Geake decided to retire, and the property was sold.The new crop of chain "sporting goods" stores, if they did sell hunting and fishing gear, marketed to the low end. If you wanted fly fishing gear it was either the Orvis shop, which was by then more of a clothing store, or mail order. The gun shops in the area catered mainly to fans of high capacity 9s and AR-15 clones.

Then Cabela's came to Michigan. I was familiar with their catalog, but visiting their store was a revelation. Here was a gun department the likes of which hadn't been seen since the great days of A&F. Row upon row of fine rifles, shotguns, and pistols,  new and used, and a "gallery" of high end and collectable arms, including some very fine British double guns. They bought guns, too, usually at  reasonable prices- that's where I sold my S&W 442. The staff were all well informed, and friendly- just like the old days.

Cabelas also has a pretty decent selection of reloading equipment, ammunition, targets, safes... just about everything you need and can't find at your local discount hardware store. Prices aren't as low as you'll find at Midway or Sinclair, but then you're not shipping when you buy at a store. I suppose it's a good thing they're 65 miles from me. If they were any closer I'd probably be dropping in every week.

No comments:

Post a Comment