Friday, April 8, 2016

The Russian TOZ-35m 50 Meter Pistol: Part II

Following up on my earlier TOZ-35 post, let's take a closer look at the gun and the accessories included in the case.



Pulling the left grip off, you can get a good look at the main components. The long lever extending the length of the grip frame and out the bottom opens and closes the breech and cocks the striker. The short lever above the trigger sets the trigger, and can also be used for dry fire practice.

Inside the box you'll find an assortment of tools, a cleaning rod packed in the lid, and a mysterious round wooden box:



The curious white object turns out to be a handle for a reservable screwdriver blade that put me in mind of a similar tool that came with my Nagant 7.62x38R revolver:


The round wooden box contains two spare mainsprings, several different front and rear sight blades, a spare firing pin, a sear spring, and one other spring I haven't yet identified. They're wrapped in an oiled paper and I've left them wrapped up so i don't accidentally spill them out and lose them. TOZ parts are available, but the supply is shrinking and prices are going up.


I haven't started carving the grip yet as (1) I've got a bad cold and shouldn't be handling sharp tools and (2) I'm still collecting photos and visualizing the final form. The next step is to sketch the lines on the grip pieces and do the rough cutting with bandsaw and coping saw. From there it's a matter of using files and rasps and slowly refining the fit to my hand. A good free pistol should fit like a glove.

Update: Beginning to shape the grip:



Getting closer. Notice the judicious use of epoxy wood putty by the the novice grip carver:




No comments:

Post a Comment