Friday, January 11, 2013

Testing .22 ammunition


My second purpose in going to the range today was to do some comparative testing of .22 ammunition. I brought three different loads with me, and left to right they are Remington Target, with the addition of a thin layer of Alox lube; CCI Standard Velocity; and Aguila Pistol Target. The Remington was an experiment to see if adding lube would improve the performance of these rounds, and the Aguila was to see how it compares to my old favorite, the CCI. The Aguila and CCI both cost around $3/50, but the Aguila is advertised as actual match ammunition.


The Remington had a lot of flyers, so after one magazine full (10 rounds) I moved on to the CCI Standard Velocity. That's one of my trials with the CCI, above, at 50 feet, fired two handed, resting my wrist on my range bag. Not really bullseye accuracy, but good enough to make some comparisons.  The Aguila was a bit of a surprise:



This was shot standing, two handed, without any rest. Again, not brilliant shooting, but look how little vertical stringing there is. The horizontal dispersion is the shooter's fault, and some of the vertical, too, but the ammunition did well. I'm going to do some more tests, firing from a rest, and I also have a brick of the Aguila Rifle Match that I'll test at the outdoor range in my Anschutz... when it warms up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment