Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Glenfield 25, continued


Part 1 of this story begins here.

After experimenting with an offset scope mount, I found an even better way to scope the Glenfield 25 I've been restoring- a long eye relief scope. To be specific, it's a BSA Deer Hunter 2.5x20 Rifle Scope DH25X20 that lists for about $65, but that Amazon has for under $38. Optimum eye relief is 4", which works perfectly on this rifle.

Magnification is a modest 2.5x. I usually like to put a 4x or 6x scope as a minimum on a .22, but I thought the lower magnification might be appropriate for a woods small game gun. Light, fast target acquisition, and enough magnification for up to perhaps 30-40 yards max. I took it to the range today to sight it in at 25 yards.





These were my first two groups, using CCI Standard Velocity ammunition. The first three groups measured 0.5", 0.625" and 0.875", which equates to between 2 and 3.5 MOA.  Not bad, for a 2.5x scope and a budget .22; certainly minute-of-squirrel accuracy. I shot a total of ten 5-shot groups with the standard velocity ammunition and got similar results.

I then switched to Mini-Mags (this is supposed to be a hunting gun, after all) and got some very similar groups- and a couple with wide flyers, like this group:


Four of the bullets would be in a tight cluster, and then one would be an inch away from the group. I'm not sure if that was the ammunition, the cold weather (it was about 22F) or me. I might try some more accuracy refinements, like epoxy bedding the barrel and action. That's kind of excessive for an inexpensive  .22 like this, but it might be fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment