Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Dixie Gun Works



I started reading the Dixie Gun Works catalog in the 1980s, when I was in grad school, and making a .45 caliber percussion muzzle loading rifle was the perfect distraction to take my mind off school and my downtown Detroit apartment. I don't shoot muzzle loaders much these days but I still order a copy of the Dixie catalog just about every year. DGW has been around since 1954, which makes it as old as I am, and the Dixie catalog reflects that history. In it, you'll find nearly 700 pages of every conceivable type of muzzle loading firearm, along with gun parts, period clothing, knives, shooting accessories and just about everything a muzzle loading enthusiast might want. Some of the entries and parts are probably unchanged from when Turner Kirkland founded Dixie. Here's a typical page:


That's just a small selection of the hammers and mainsprings they carry. You can find everything from basic unfinished castings to highly polished, finished hammers. Same goes for locks, barrels, kits... you name it. Even if you don't currently shoot a muzzle loader you owe it to yourself to get a copy to spend a lazy afternoon thumbing through. It's only $5, and basic Media Mail shipping is free. Of course if you're like me you'll spend the extra $2 to get it sent UPS.

You can find DGW at http://www.dixiegunworks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment