Thursday, January 19, 2012

A good, cheap, reloading stand

It's been two months (!) since I bought my new Lee Turret Press, and I'm finally ready to start reloading again. In the intervening weeks I've scraped all the loose paint off two walls, patched them with hydraulic cement, painted them with Drylok, thrown out several full garbage bags of assorted junk, put up three large shelving units and mopped the floor, none of which is of interest to shooters and reloaders.

What might be of interest is the stand I found for my reloading press. Lee has a well-regarded three-legged stand that comes with their quick-mount system for around $80 plus postage, but I found something cheaper, and perhaps better for my purposes at Harbor Freight. They call it an "Adjustable Height Heavy Duty Workstand," and while it normally sells for $27.99 it's been on sale for $24.99 for some time. It's not really adjustable in height, except while you're building it, but it is pretty heavy duty.

The top is a piece of 3/4" thick MDF, 20-1/8" by 17-3/4", and it's sturdy enough to mount some pretty heavy equipment. HF says the stand has a capacity of 1000 pounds, although I don't know that I'd be comfortable putting that much weight on it. But it is more than sufficient for mounting one or more reloading presses, which is exactly what I did. I've got the Lee Turret press on one side, the quick-mount bracket on the other (I'll be using this for a single stage press), and there's still room for more. There are two shelves underneath where you can keep extra dies and other components.

I actually bought two of these, with the second one now supporting my 4" belt sander. I'm temped to get a third to remount my drill press.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this. I've been searching for a cheap stand and this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice setup. I use a Lee turret press myself.

    ReplyDelete