Sunday, January 23, 2011

What It's All About

Sometime between my childhood and today, something happened to the sport of shooting. The average shooter used to be someone who had a few hunting guns, maybe a target gun, a plinker, the odd collectible. Those of my father's generation might have a WWII souvenir, or a Springfield they bought from the DCM. Now it seems that all anyone wants is a high-capacity 9mm or .45 and some sort of M16/M4 clone.

It's not enough to have military style weapons; the new gun hobbyists have to have military style clothing, too. I still find it kind of odd when I'm at the outdoor range or in the woods to see shooters dressed up in NATO camouflage, with full web gear. Uh, guys, the deer aren't shooting back. Yet.

I suppose it's TV and the movies, which have greatly glamorized these sorts of weapons, and portrayed a very romanticized view of battle and war. Not that I begrudge anyone their 5.56mm poodle shooter (as a friend calls these pseudo-military guns), but there's a whole world of shooting that has nothing to do with military style gear, and that's what this blog is about.

I like shooting, collecting and learning about interesting guns, whether it's the latest  in new technology, or an interesting artifact from the past. I like sharing that information with readers- and hearing from readers about interesting guns they may have as well.

And now that I've probably alienated half my possible audience, let's move on to a few favorite toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment